Saturday, April 21, 2007

It's for finding angels

I arrived at TotL earlier than usual with the Teleport as sunset was still an hour away and darkness coming around 9pm. I came early to enjoy the weather and release a little cabin fever anxiety. The weather has been bad for a good spell. Setup for the Teleport was a snap.

I was gathering my things together while the scope cooled down. From behind a woman approached asking, "What's that for?"

"It's for finding angels, and one is here right now," I replied spontaneously.

A smile grew on Deanna's face. Her boy friend Curtis came up shortly afterward. I enjoyed chatting with them while the scope cooled down. Curtis picked out Venus with ease, pointing below Moon in the western sky. They were both fairly high up, later to set beautifully & brightly behind the blossoming trees and Pinetum.

During this time many people stopped to have a look. It didn't matter that scope needed cooling and alignment, and that seeing was poor, every enjoyed a view of the 3 1/2 day waxing crescent Moon. With effort one could make out that Venus was a waning gibbous, but better seeing would have made it more worthwhile.

Labels: , , ,